i finally did it. i’ve been dreaming of making homemade donuts for weeks, probably months and i finally did it today. and let me tell you, it was the best decision i’ve made all day.
the recipe is super easy and the result is super delish.
i found the recipe here but changed it a tiny bit.
here we go.
here’s your ingredients for the dough: flour, sugar, milk, salt, baking powder, egg and butter
add 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour to your mixer
then add 1/3 cup granulated sugar
and 2 teaspoons baking powder
add 1/2 teaspoon of salt
mix it all together until well blended
add 1/2 cup milk [i use skim milk], add 2 tablespoons melted butter, add 1 egg
mix it all up until it looks like this
it’s a really small amount of dough, but makes a perfect amount of donuts
i got my cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar ready before heating up my oil
and covered a drying rack with wax paper to put the donuts on after they’ve been sugarfied
lay out a stack of paper towels next to your oil to lay the donuts on once they come out of the pan. the paper towels will soak up some of the excess oil
fill the pan with some vegetable oil, about 2 inches worth
then drop the dough in by spoonfuls and watch the magic happen
they turn into perfect little circles and swell quite a bit
here’s my little assembly line, all ready to go
i cut the first donut open just to make sure they were cooked inside. lucky for me, they were. it only took about 2 minutes in the oil
some of those guys kinda look like angry birds, right?
once the donuts have cooled a little, roll them in your choice of topping!
seriously, how awesome do these look? and they taste amazing. and only took about 30 minutes total to make them!
homemade donut holes
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
cinnamon sugar [for topping]
powdered sugar [for topping]
[or use any other thing you want for the topping!]
1. mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in mixer until well-blended
2. add milk, butter, and egg and mix until well-blended
3. heat [about 2 inches of] oil in medium saucepan on medium heat. [you may want to test oil with small drops of dough before starting. you want to see tiny bubbles fizzing around dough.]
4. add dough by the spoonful to the hot oil and cook for about 2 minutes, rotating in oil to make sure they get cooked on all sides
5. let cool on paper towels, roll in topping, and let cool on wax paper
6. chow down and devour these suckers.
seriously, i had to remove myself from the kitchen and put plastic wrap over my donuts so i wouldn’t eat all of them within 5 minutes of making them.
they’re that good.