my tattoos: part one

i’ve had a couple people ask me about my tattoo on my arm, which can be seen in some of my photos. so i thought i’d do a little post about it, as well as my other two tattoos.
i’ve always liked tattoos. i like that they’re an individual expression of a person, and that they can be incredibly unique and meaningful. it’s art that you carry with you each and every day. for me, my tattoos represent something that is integral to who i am as a person. they represent my faith in jesus.
let’s start with my first one, shall we? i got it when i was a senior in high school, just two months after my 18th birthday. i knew what i wanted when i was about 17, but waited a year to make sure that i still wanted it when i was able to get it.

the tattoo is the word “agape”, in classical greek. [a lot of people think i’m greek because of it, but i’m not!] “agape” is the greek word for love, specifically the love of God for mankind. it’s a word for unconditional, sacrificial, selfless love. the kind of love that can only come from God.
i chose the spot for my tattoo for a couple reasons. first, as part of my faith, i believe that God created the world and everything in it. He created it with his hands, so i wanted my tattoo near my hand. second, some people believe that spot is where a vein leads directly to your heart (which is why, traditionally, wedding rings are worn on your left ring finger). whether this is scientifically true or not, i’m not sure. but i like to think so.
what i love about my tattoo is that it’s a daily reminder that God loves me. and that i need to try to love people with that kind of love too.

parts two and three coming soon!

1. Love the significance of your tattoo!

Posted 2.21.12 Reply
  2. I love it…I've wanted a tattoo for a couple of years now, but am afraid I'll get tired of whatever I choose, or that it will come out wrong or something. But yours is lovely. I'm half Greek, so that makes your tattoo even more awesome. 🙂

Posted 2.21.12 Reply

1. love the word agape. such an amazing love.
    2. really proud of you for actually doing it. I'm too chicken 🙂
    2. Happy Tuesday!!

meg

4. Molly wrote:

I love your tattoo. I think the placement is perfect for the tattoo.

5. Liz Brown wrote:

I remember my dad teaching me about the different Greek words for love. Ever since then I've loved that whole concept of agape love, and how it means selflessness and sacrifice.

Posted 2.21.12 Reply
  6. Very cool!! Love the meaning behind it!

Posted 2.21.12 Reply
  7. I love tattoos, but not on me! I love that yours is so meaningful all the way down to the location on your body. THAT'S what a tattoo should be like. Love it.

8. Kate wrote:

lurve

Posted 2.21.12 Reply
  9. I'm not a tattoo girl, but I love yours! Perfect placement for the meaning, too.

Posted 2.21.12 Reply
  10. I've wanted to get a tattoo of the word "agape" on the inside of my left wrist for some time now. Like you've I've been waiting for a year or so to make sure that I was certain that this was the place for it and that this is what I wanted to have inked on my skin. Now I just need to go get it done. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

• { lauren } wrote:

go for it, girl! honestly, it didn't really hurt in that spot either (although i've been told i have a high pain tolerance).

Posted 2.22.12 Reply

Love the word. I always want to get a verse, but I'm not sure what to get. I love that you love the Lord! 🙂

12. Michelle wrote:

Love, love, love this. Very powerful and beautiful. I love the meaning, and I love that you got it in greek!

*Almost* makes me want one 🙂

13. Beverly wrote:

Thanks for sharing your meaning with us! I know tatts are quite personal 😉

14. Jules wrote:

tattoos are addicting for sure. Yours is cute!

Posted 2.21.12 Reply
  15. I have been following your blog for a couple weeks and loving it and I was confused when I saw the little picture today because I have agape in Greek on my right wrist! I was so excited to see that someone else had had the same idea(although mine is oriented so I can read it)! I think you got yours long before me as I've only had mine about 2 months, though. Anyway, I thought it was really awesome. I also realized upon talking with a roommate lately that many biblical scholars and historians feel that in fact the nails in Jesus' hands were actually in his wrists because the bones in one's hands aren't strong enough to hold them on a cross so I realized that mine is actually right where the nail would be, just another amazing reminder of unconditional love on the cross. Sorry, this is really long but I thought I'd share. I blog at http://outofmindbacksoon.blogspot.com/ if you want to check it out sometime.

<3 Stephanie

• { lauren } wrote:

that's awesome! love learning things like that…thanks for sharing 🙂

Posted 2.22.12 Reply
  16. Katie wrote:

What a beautiful meaning for your tattoo! I will say, the vein that leads to your heart actually runs from your right index finger… this is the reason why in Jewish wedding ceremonies, the wedding ring is placed on the right index finger.

17. Kristin wrote:

I love your reasoning behind getting this tattoo. I've never felt that a tattoo was for me, but I really love the idea of having a daily reminder of God's love and that He sacrificed His life to cleanse me of my sins. Thanks for sharing!

18. LOVE!
    I waited a year to get mine to make sure that
    I really wanted it, too – good decision!

My boyfriend and a group of his friends just got the word "Agape" tattooed on their ankle. I didn't know the meaning of it until they told me – so awesome.

Love these tattoo posts!
    Makes me want another 🙂

• { lauren } wrote:

thanks 🙂 it kinda makes me want another too…they are seriously addicting!

Posted 2.22.12 Reply
  19. Wendy wrote:

Love your tattoo and its significance to you! 🙂

Posted 2.22.12 Reply
  20. Jamie wrote:

Love it! I can't wait to read about your other ones!

I want to get a tattoo on my wrist. I also have a Lotus flower design picked our for my ankle or foot. But we'll see how this wrist one goes first haha!

Posted 2.22.12 Reply
  21. Robyn wrote:

I LOVE it!!! Can't wait for parts 2 and 3!
    Robyn

Posted 2.22.12 Reply
  22. I adore this tattoo and I love what it represents. I want to get a new tattoo, but figuring out what to get to make sure that I'm going to love it forever is the hard part. Can't wait to see number 2 and 3.

Posted 2.22.12 Reply
  23. I am a secret "lurker" reader and have always wanted to comment. Your tattoo is so lovely! Such a wonderful meaning I have a Greek ichthys ( the "Jesus fish"), the Christian secret symbol when Christianity was forbidden in Rome. Love reading your blog, lady loo!

Posted 2.22.12 Reply
    • { lauren } wrote:

well, i'm glad you decided to comment! nice to meet you, sorta 🙂

Posted 2.22.12 Reply

One of my screen names is "Mission To Agape," so I guess it's a bit of an understatement to say that I love you tattoo. 🙂

Posted 2.22.12 Reply
  25. Allyson wrote:

I love your tattoos! Understated is my favorite kind. I've been wanting another, but I don't know if I'm ready to make the jump yet…

Allyson

Posted 3.29.12 Reply
  26. This is a beautiful reminder of God's unconditional love. I've always loved the word "agape," both how it sounds and what i means. Thanks so much for sharing.

Kate
    Something Ivory

Posted 9.5.12 Reply
  27. I love it..
    I just got the same tattoo yesterday on my wrist n on the other wrist I got Forgiven . Because at the end of each day n after all my mistakes. I believe I'm still loved and forgiven by God.. 🙂 God bless you

Posted 1.29.14 Reply