my sister came over last night and, as usual, we decided it was kind of necessary to make and eat something sweet. since i had almost an entire bag of freshly picked apples, we settled on apple fritters. and, my lord, those things are goooooood.
here’s the recipe:
1 beaten egg
1 cup milk
1 cup finely chipped or grated apple (we used a cortland)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
dash of cinnamon
vegetable oil (for frying)
1. heat your oil to approximately 350 degrees on the stovetop
2. in a bowl combine beaten egg, milk, chopped/grated apple, sugar, salt, cinnamon,
OJ, and vanilla
3. stir together flour and baking powder
4. fold dry mixture into wet mixture. do not over-mix, just until combined.
5. drop batter by rounded teaspoons into hot oil. fry until deep golden brown, about
3-4 minutes turning once (usually, they turn themselves)
6. once cooled a bit, roll in cinnamon & sugar and place on a plate
7. then watch as they disappear because they will be eaten immediately
you’re welcome, in advance, for this gem of a recipe.