guys, i experienced the most ridiculous 15 hours of my life on thursday/friday. my roommate and i joked that we should make a movie out of it. here’s what happened: my roommate had to be home for the weekend so i decided to make the drive with her (partially so that she didn’t do it alone but mostly to surprise my parents). we decided to leave raleigh at about 4pm on thursday, which should have gotten us to chicago at about 5am. umm…think again. below is a list of all the things we encountered:
– an absolute downpour as soon (and i mean as soon) as we pull out from our apartment complex to start the journey
– stopped traffic on the interstate…for absolutely no reason. we sat there at 0 mph for about 35 minutes
– stopped traffic again on the turnpike in virginia…in the mountains…with no escape. turns out, a dump truck carrying bricks went off on the shoulder (no one was hurt) and spilled bricks everywhere. after about 20 minutes of being stopped, we parked, turned the car off, rolled the windows down, and reclined our seats to look at the stars. 30 minutes later, we were back in business and moving…slowly
– almost running over a skunk that decided to cross the highway
– endless detours and construction
– stopped traffic again on some country road in west virginia, which included being reamed by a cop (which included us being threatened that we could “be killed if a dump truck came barreling down the road”…on which she was standing. umm?)
– more detours through country towns that include almost exclusively 30 mph speed limits
– a gas station deciding to close for the night WHILE WE WERE PUMPING GAS (side note: what?!)
– i only slept for about an hour the entire ride. which is strange because i’m usually narcoleptic when it comes to being in cars.
are you convinced that it was the most ridiculous trip ever?
what’s really crazy is that we arrived only about an hour later than we should have. i walked in the door, hugged my parents, and promptly got into bed to sleep the morning away.