tutorial: how i style my hair

i’ve had a few people ask me how i’ve been styling my hair lately so i decided to follow in the footsteps of my lovely sister and create a quick video tutorial to show you my process. the first video will walk you through the curling steps and the second video shows how i finish my style.

also, prepare to probably feel a little awkward while watching this. if you’ve never created a video like this, you should. mostly because it will make you appreciate all those bloggers out there that make them on a regular basis and are actually good at it.

Hair Curling Tutorial from Lauren on Vimeo.

Finishing my style from Lauren on Vimeo.

1. Ash wrote:

Love it! Very pretty 🙂

So pretty!!

3. Martha wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for the update! Also, where did you get that adorable top? Love the orange lace!

• Lauren wrote:

it's actually a dress! got it from Francesca's Boutique

4. meganw wrote:

You have amazing hair! I can't wait until my hair is long again!

5. Kathleen wrote:

Great tutorial! 🙂 I like that you have loose waves, that's what I've been trying to get my hair to do for months! So I'll be trying this out soon!

Posted 9.5.12 Reply
  6. Thanks for the tutorial. My hair texture is very similar to your's…fine but a lot of it. I've tried back combing before but never really knew the proper way to smooth it out. Thanks!

Posted 9.5.12 Reply
  7. Do you brush out the back combing before washing it the next day? I always struggle with too much product in my thin, fine hair :/ Thanks!

• Lauren wrote:

i usually end up running my fingers through it the night before (when going to bed) so it's not too bad the next morning. it's definitely easier to comb through it before you get it wet in the shower, though!

• Thanks so much 🙂

Posted 9.5.12 Reply
  8. you're so cute! i love your middle part, too. wish i could pull that off, but my gigantic forehead won't allow. 🙂 thanks for the tutorial!

9. Ashley Rae wrote:

You and Kate sound exactly the same! Its even more obvious now that you two are sisters :). Great tutorial! Thanks for doing it!

• Lauren wrote:

that's so funny! we get that a lot. people sometimes can't tell us apart on the phone!

Posted 9.5.12 Reply
  10. Do you mind me asking, what tattoo you have on your wrist?

11. Katie wrote:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for explaining how to not get the kink in the middle of your hair!!!! I gave up on my curling iron because I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it/stop doing it!!!… Now to just let my hair grow out and be long and thin like yours, but my hair grows like a snail!

PS: You sound SO much like your sister and have so many of the same "things" you do with you hands and facial expressions.. LOVE IT! You are hilarious!

12. Bethany A wrote:

Loved this video!! What formula do you get on your hair for the highlights/color?? Beautiful hair!!

• Lauren wrote:

thanks! i texted my sister to ask her and this is what she said: hightlight 20 volume, lowlight 6n/6bg 20 volume. 3 lowlights to every highlight (and the dark color underneath is my natural color). hope that helps 🙂

Posted 9.10.12 Reply
  13. Katie wrote:

Also, love your makeup!! Interested in doing a makeup tutorial???

• Cherish wrote:

I totally agree with you. Her face looks porcelain. I hope the makeup tutorial is next.

Posted 9.6.12 Reply
    • Lauren wrote:

thank, ladies! i'll definitely do a video about my makeup!

Posted 9.10.12 Reply
  14. Elena wrote:

Thanks for this! Great job — not awkward at all. I like that these and your sister's tutorials show that it takes some time to achieve great hair looks (for most people). One suggestion? Smile a bit more — with teeth! You have such a beautiful smile, I found myself smiling at my phone to encourage you to smile back.

15. Kasey wrote:

Thank you for reminding me how much I want to keep growing my hair out!
    PS.. you're gorgeous. Just saying 🙂

16. yessss! i love this, lauren! so fun!! and your hair looks gorge

Posted 9.5.12 Reply

Thanks, you are super cute. I can't wait to share this with my two teenage daughters.

18. Ariel wrote:

So cute! I love the loose curl look with a little bit of volume at the top 🙂

19. BethG wrote:

Thanks for this Lauren! I love Kate's tutorials but sometimes I think "I'll never be able to achieve her look because she's a professional hairstylist". But seeing it from a "regular" person like me gives me hope that if I keep practicing with the curling iron I'll eventually achieve the look I want! Now if only my hair would grow faster!

Thanks!
    Beth

20. Patrice wrote:

Great video. I noticed your hair looked great even before you started.

21. Laura wrote:

Thank-you! I'm glad to see how you do it since your hair is longer than Kate's (and so is mine).

22. Sheena Roberts wrote:

Thank you for posting! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the loose waves and I just can't seem to accomplish them! Why? Well appearently I've been using too small of a curling iron! I'll be making a trip to Sally's this afternoon to purchase a bigger one! Thanks so much!

23. alexandra wrote:

thank you for posting this video! i loved it!! i know what I'm doing with my hair tomorrow 🙂

24. Christian wrote:

What brand is your comb? Where can I purchase one? My comb I use for teasing isn't that great! Great video!

• Lauren wrote:

not sure what brand but you should be able to buy at any drug store or Sally's Beauty Supply!

Posted 9.10.12 Reply
  25. Tori wrote:

Love love love that you did a video. I'm trying to work up the courage! Hehe!

-Tori
    torigjohnson.blogspot.com

Posted 9.6.12 Reply
  26. What a fun tutorial, this allows us viewers to get to know you better. Thanks for posting.

Posted 9.6.12 Reply
  27. Kaolee wrote:

I love your hair. So pretty!

Posted 9.6.12 Reply
  28. Rebecca wrote:

Thanks so much for this tutorial!! I sometimes wear a very similar style but struggle with the front sections. I LOVE how you divided the front sections into a top and bottom curl. I really think that's gonna make a difference! Thanks again 🙂

Posted 9.6.12 Reply

You did a fantastic job! Thanks for posting;)

Posted 9.6.12 Reply
  30. Thanks! This was fun to watch.

Posted 9.6.12 Reply

Hey Lauren! Can you tell me what brand and size curling iron you are using? Thanks!

Posted 9.6.12 Reply
    • Lauren wrote:

Hi! it's a 1 inch Hot Tools iron! Really great!

Posted 9.10.12 Reply
  32. I tried your style today and it came out perfect! Unfortunately I had to go out to run errands in a huge Florida downpour shortly after. So glad to know that I can do it though!

Thanks for your blogging! I enjoy reading!

Posted 9.6.12 Reply

thanks for sharing!!! Where did you get your blouse? SO cute on you!!

Posted 9.7.12 Reply
  34. Wish my hair was long enough for this style! When it finally grows out I will have to come back and watch again! lol =) I love yours and your sister's blogs. I have found a love of Francescas through you all!!

Posted 9.7.12 Reply
  35. Cate wrote:

I'm going to try this, I'm not very good with doing hair so this will help.

Posted 9.7.12 Reply
  36. Jenny in WEllington, NZ wrote:

That was an awesome vid, Lauren 🙂 thanks heaps 🙂 you and your sister are so on to it with your hair! I've got a curling iron and a GHD, so I must practice practice practice, huh.

Posted 9.8.12 Reply
  37. Awesome Lauren! Thanks for the video! You make it look so easy! I will definitely be trying it out this weekend! Love your blog! Thanks for sharing!

Posted 9.8.12 Reply

You and your sister sound so much alike! Thanks for the tutorial. I'll have to try this next time! ps.. Cute dress!

Posted 9.8.12 Reply

Oh, and you should do a makeup tutorial next, because I love your look!

Posted 9.8.12 Reply
  40. Well, aren't you just the cutest! Love this! TRYING to grow out my hair and THIS is just what I need. Your hair is beautiful! Loved this tutorial!

Posted 9.28.12 Reply
  41. Amber wrote:

On your sister's blog she gives details about her haircut. Blunt cut with long to medium layers. How can I tell my hairstylist to cut my hair like yours? Same? It's adorable! Thanks.

Posted 10.2.12 Reply
  42. Julie wrote:

great tutorial! like you, i have thin hair, but a lot of it! my hair is also really long, and curling it can be a challenge. i'll be trying your technique!

Posted 1.21.13 Reply