what i learned from cleaning out my closet

people of the internet, i have a problem. if you follow me on instagram, you know that i cleaned out and re-organized my closet earlier this week. it was kind of long over-due, so it’s a good thing i finally got around to doing it.
anyways, i discovered that 90% of my tees are multiples. i knew i liked multiples, but not like this. below you will see seven different piles of tees. each pile is the same style, in different colors. and the number is how many of each of them i have. OH MY GOSH.
it’s madness, i tell you. madness. once i discovered this, i gave myself a little pep talk about learning to enjoy variety and buying just ONE color of a certain tee. we’ll see how long that lasts.

1. haha I'm the same way – when I find something I like (like a tshirt, shoes or jeans) I get them in like every color! hey, when it fits, it fits! xo

2. Niamh wrote:

That's too funny!

3. April wrote:

Oh man! I've done the same thing. I find a tee I love and just go crazy. So don't feel too guilty! xo april

4. Melanie wrote:

I'm your newest follower. Love your blog!! So glad I found it.

I feel like I have the same 'closet problem' you do! I'm about to clean out my closest when I rearrange everything for my fall wardrobe. It'll be interesting what I find!

Oh this is too funny!
    Well i guess when you find something you like you wanna make sure you have it FORRRREVVVERRRRR ( cue Sandlot voice)

Posted 9.25.12 Reply
  6. Haha, you aren't the only one. I have about 10 of the Gap super soft Tees, 5 of the VS essential tees, and multiples of other various styles. It's hard enough to find a style I like so when I do, I go overboard! Sometimes I buy extras for back-ups! 🙂

7. Amy B wrote:

You're not alone! Especially with many plain t-shirts, they go perfectly with scarves!

Posted 9.25.12 Reply
    • I agree, I am not great at matching patterns, so plain is good for me.

Posted 9.25.12 Reply
  8. I do the exact same thing! But my multiples are very intentional- I'm so picky with my clothes that when I find something I love, I take it in every color and run!

Posted 9.25.12 Reply

I can't believe you have so many tees!

10. Lynn Soon wrote:

Oooh, I have a blog post idea for you – since you love these t-shirts so much, maybe tell us which kind/style they are, and why you love them so?! I love t-shirts, but I find that sometimes that don't launder well, or are too short. 🙂 Love your blog!

Posted 9.25.12 Reply
  11. I wear all colors of tees with scarfs so they can be dressed up. I have also found that if I like a shirt I will buy several colors. It is very difficult to find ones that you like so yes, I buy mulitples too!

Posted 9.25.12 Reply
  12. oh man this is hilarious!

13. Beverly wrote:

it's funny how we gravitate to the same style of something once we find what we really like. I've been trying to make it a point to buy something other than black!!!

Posted 9.25.12 Reply
  14. I do this kinda often too. But I feel like once you find a good tee, which is hard I think, you should buy it in multiples. I have horrible luck, and I'll go back to buy the tee again to never find it. Happened to me with my favorite neon pink vneck from the Gap, still makes me sad I only have 1. 🙁

15. Ashleigh wrote:

Do you have a favorite white t-shirt? I'm always looking for the best ones that don't wear out too quickly!

16. Jes wrote:

I have the same problem. But once I find something that works, why not buy multiple? I have a few of the same shirt from old navy…and then I noticed I hvae two of the same color.

Posted 9.25.12 Reply
  17. Hey, when you find a good shirt, it just makes sense to buy multiple colors.

I'm not helping, am I?

Sorry.

• Lauren wrote:

haha not really but that's exactly my thought process! oh well. i'm sure it will continue to happen.

Posted 9.26.12 Reply
  18. I do that too!!!

19. Syndal wrote:

ugh I have the same problem..I'm a sweater hoarder mainly.

Posted 9.25.12 Reply

I have this problem, only with cardigans. For shame

LindsayJEveryday.blogspot.com

Posted 9.25.12 Reply
  21. They are so useful though!!!

22. Kristina wrote:

Ha, I definitely do that too. I think I have six or seven of the same tanktop from Old Navy. If you find one that fits well, why not!

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

Posted 9.25.12 Reply
  23. I do the same thing. My fiance took me shopping on Sunday and I caught myself doing it there as well.

I am a follower of your blog and would love to have you over at mine

Dreams Do Come True

Posted 9.25.12 Reply

You should do a blog on how to properly fold and hang clothes. I always look for inspiration from other people. Keep up the great blogging! 🙂

Kayla

25. Jen wrote:

I'm sorry, but I totally support you in this habbit. If you find a shirt that fits you well, doesn't shrink, etc. I would get it in every color!

26. Meg wrote:

My sister does that, too. With her clothes and her kids lol.

27. rlmax wrote:

This post made me laugh! I have 4 of the same vintage tee from Old Navy too (your second pile on the top row). I can't blame you, they are great! But this i funny.

Posted 9.25.12 Reply
  28. I dunno, I feel like if you find a good tee you should totally have it in different colors… I've only bought one of something and then totally regretted it when it gets worn out and they no longer make it!

29. Rachel wrote:

I do this, too! But I always tell myself that if something fits, you should buy it in every color!

Life Unsweetened

30. Angie wrote:

My poor Momma does that too. If she finds something she likes she will buy it in every color. I have a totally different issue. I'm drawn to bright colors and bold prints which do not interchange with other items well! I've tried to stick to buying more neutral things but so far, no luck!

31. Molly wrote:

Haha, I have multiples of the exact same t's!! Can't go wrong with a classic v-neck! Plus with all your cute accessorizing I'm sure you make them all look fabulously different!

32. meghan wrote:

Organizing your closet is so so revealing. I did mine about a month ago and felt so great after the purge. And somehow now I feel like I have more clothes because everything in there is something that I wear.

Posted 9.26.12 Reply
  33. Abbey wrote:

I have this probably with v-necks!! Most are from Target, but then I have a bunch more. WHY?!

Posted 9.26.12 Reply
  34. I always have two each of white, black and grey v-necks and then some scoop necks in that color too. I wear other colors too, but those are the majority. Target and Old Navy are my favorite place for those.

Posted 9.26.12 Reply
  35. Is it wrong that when I read the title of this blog I immediately started singing Eminem??

Anyway, as long as you wear them all, what's the harm?? the more the merrier i say 🙂

Posted 9.26.12 Reply
  36. Danielle wrote:

I am the exact same way Lauren! When you find a shirt you love, there's absolutely no reason not to buy it in a few different colors. For example, I own 5 of those Ralph Lauren Sport v-necks because they were on mega-sale one weekend and the material is so soft and comfortable!!

Posted 9.26.12 Reply
  37. Jill wrote:

I'm the same way. My husband makes fun of me, but oh well. If I like it, why not?! 🙂 I know it will get used and it's better to have things you like than a bunch of variety and things you only feel "meh" about…right?

Posted 9.26.12 Reply
  38. Danielle wrote:

I really thought I was the only one who had this problem. What a relief that it isn't just me! Of course, I find that I'll buy several colors and then end up wearing the same one over and over again because, as it turns out, that was the color I liked best.

Posted 9.26.12 Reply
  39. I am so glad there's others like me out there. If I love something, I try to pick it up in different colors too.

Alice