homemade chili

it’s chili season, folks. do you hear that? those tiny cheers from frito’s and cornbread mixes all across the land that finally get to serve their god-given purpose. or at least, their most important purpi (plural for purpose? or is that purposes?). either way, they’re happy and i’m happy, so it’s a win-win.

chili is probably one of the easiest things to make, if i had to guess. you can substitute the beef for turkey or whatever else floats your chili-in-a-frito boat. (i just LOL’d at myself…that’s never a good sign.)

here’s the recipe i use:

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
dash pepper
16 oz (2 cups) can stewed tomatoes
8 oz (1 cup) can tomato sauce
16 oz can kidney beans, partially drained [or another bean that you prefer, just not jelly beans]

in large skillet, brown ground beef, onion and celery; drain excess fat. stir in remaining ingredients except beans. simmer covered for 30-45 minutes until flavors are blended. stir in beans, heat through.

makes 6 servings. which, if you live in my apartment, will probably be eaten in 2 days. good luck.

p.s. i just had an intervention with myself and will no longer allow myself to write after consuming too much sugar cookie dough. i get a little out of hand. apologies all around.

1. Sam wrote:

Yummm! Glad to hear its officially chili season for normal ppl – it's been chili season in my house for about the last month & a half. I just can't bet enough! Have you tried white chili? It's a nice change of pace sometimes.

2. Ragan wrote:

chili is my fave 🙂

Posted 11.15.12 Reply
  3. I think maybe you should *always* post after consuming too much sugar. It was fun!! 🙂

Posted 11.15.12 Reply
  4. You are hilarious. Please, by all means, continue to write on cookie dough-induced sugar highs! 🙂

And hooray for chili! This sounds just like the recipe I use and love. Mmmm.

Posted 11.15.12 Reply
  5. It is chili season, I made some Tuesday. I have never put celery in mine I will have to try that out.

6. Rikki wrote:

If I were a cool enough blogger and had thought of this before this very minute, I would have hosted a chili cook-off blog link up. Filing that away for next year… I love gathering other people's soup and chili recipes!

7. Mallory wrote:

Yum! I just made Taco Soup this week, which had pretty similar ingredients. I need to try this chili!

8. Sara wrote:

Not jelly beans?! What do you have against jelly beans?!

Just kidding! 😉

But really… Now I just want to try to make a dessert chili that uses jelly beans.. 🙂

– Sara

9. Kristina wrote:

No, I'm going to say that you should always write after consuming cookie dough. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

10. mbizzy wrote:

CHILI SEASON ALL YEAR GIRL!! chili dogs-chili mac- bbq chili… are these just New England things?

Posted 11.15.12 Reply
  11. pinning this recipe for later use, when i try to teach myself to cook.
    stay tuned 🙂

xo – heather

12. You are too funny!!!

~Katherine

13. Kari wrote:

looks amazing.

14. Leslie S. wrote:

Big fan of a white chicken chili and just made a wicked hot batch of chorizo chili over the weekend! My new fav ingredients: a dark porter beer and cinnamon (just a dash!)

Posted 11.16.12 Reply
  15. Heather wrote:

YUM!

Posted 11.20.12 Reply

Oh my. Haha. It's purpi. Definitely purpi. 🙂

Posted 11.30.12 Reply
  17. Michelle wrote:

I'd love to have you link up some of your recipes here! http://michellesfavoritethings.blogspot.com/p/tuesdays-tasting-party.html

Posted 12.19.12 Reply