about plans

as i sit on my bed drinking my coffee, slightly squinting from the bright sun shining through my window, i can’t help but be grateful for this life that i’ve been given. i’ve said it before, and i’m sure i’ll say it again, but i don’t deserve the blessings that God has given me. i tend to be kind of hard on myself, always noticing the thing(s) that i didn’t do or can’t do, instead of the ones that i do and can. i’m a little bit of a perfectionist in that way, and i’m learning to let go and realize that nothing is supposed to be perfect. in fact, it’s usually better when it’s not. i don’t adjust well to change, even slight changes in everyday life. once i have a plan, i like to stick with it. if something gets in the way of it, it takes me a minute to refocus and continue. the funny thing about life, though, is that it’s not about my plan. it’s not supposed to be about what i want to do or how i want to live. it should be about God’s plan for me and how He wants to use me.

i tend to think that my plans are better than God’s. that i somehow know exactly what i need and exactly how i need to get it. oh, how i couldn’t be more wrong. i sometimes wonder if God looks at me and smiles, thinking “oh, lauren. how silly of you to think that you’re in control and you know what’s best. i created you, after all. don’t you trust me and the plan that i have for you?” i do trust God and i know that He has a perfect plan for me, but what scares me is the unknown. not knowing where i will be and what i will be doing. not knowing who i will be around and how my everyday life will be. like i said, i like to plan things, so not being able to plan is kind of a struggle for me.

but, i’m learning to let go.
to trust that God will lead me where He wants me, not necessarily where i think i should be.
to rest in the truth that the Creator of the world knows me by name and knows what i need.
kind of amazing, isn’t it?

and when i look at it that way, i would much rather He be in control than me.

1. Erin wrote:

I'm struggling with the same thing, but it is comforting to know that I'm not in charge. Good luck! xox

2. Natalia G wrote:

I've been going thru this recently. I grasp dreams so tightly I practically crush them. I rely on myself to come up with the perfect plans in my life. but it's not my life, it's Gods. so I'm learning to let go and let God control my life. thanks for sharing! xx

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  3. I try to remind myself every day that God's way is best…because, like you, I'm a planner and have such a hard time when my life doesn't allow for those plans. Often I think of this verse, Exodus 14:14 "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." I love the imagery of my heart and mind being still, so that God can take over.

Such a beautiful post, thank you πŸ™‚

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  4. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, β€œplans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

I know you've read that scripture, we all have, a million times. But it never ceases to comfort me when I'm in similar situations. Praying for you, Lauren!

Posted 12.11.12 Reply

This one really spoke to me Lauren! I too have a struggle not to try & control every aspect of "my" life, then something usually (& almost always is NOT a good way) that sorta slaps in into realitly…it's almose like hearing God say.."be still and know that I AM GOD" Good to know i'm not alone πŸ™‚ great post!

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  6. i needed to hear this today! thanks, lauren!

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  7. Thank you for the encouraging post today! You are right, when it comes down to it, why wouldn't we want the creator of the universe watching over us and making plans for our life?! But all at the same time it is too easy to get caught up in our own plan…so thanks for sharing.

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  8. God made you just the way He wanted you to be, so these feelings you're talking about? Yup. In His plan! πŸ™‚ We're all meant to learn lessons a slightly different way, and by the looks of this post, you're learning a great deal. πŸ™‚

Continue to learn and be wonderful, L!

9. Lindsey wrote:

I also struggle with always wanting to be in control and I hate the 'unknown'. My mother once told me, "If you want to make God laugh, just tell him your plans!"
    It ALWAYS works out ok in the end we just have to give it to God!

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  10. Thank you! This reminder was exactly what I needed today! Sometimes it really is hard to remember that God has a plan for us and His is the right way!

11. Great post, thanks

Posted 12.11.12 Reply

Where did you get cute tote by your desk??????

13. Ginny wrote:

Such a great reminder! It's so easy to get wrapped up in our days and lives and forget to think about the big picture. Our time here on earth is only the blink of an eye in comparison to eternity. Hmmmm…I think this is the exact reminder I needed today, thanks!
    Ginny
    mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

14. Amy wrote:

amen and amen.
    It's amazing how much we can screw things up when we take God off the first place tier.

15. Jenn wrote:

Your words were such an amazing, and much needed, reminder for me. Thank you for your honesty and sharing this post with us!

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  16. Such a great post, and a great reminder. It's funny the way life turns out, and the things you didn't do that you thought you would, and vice versa. But God is so great, and He obviously knows best! πŸ™‚ But when I think of all He's done for me, I can't help but feel like one of His favorites. And you should too, lovely Lauren. πŸ™‚

Lynette @ lynette marie

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  17. It is so hard to surrender the reigns of our lives over to anyone else. But, it is easier when that "someone else" is a God who loves us and knows what's best for our lives. Thankful for God pouring His peace into your heart as you learn to trust, day by day. It's a lesson I'm learning myself, as well.

GOD BLESS!

18. SH wrote:

This is such an inspiring post! A great read first thing in the morning πŸ™‚
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

19. Shira wrote:

this post really spoke to me today, i am going through the exact same things and emotions. really nice to know that i am not alone. thank you for sharing such relatable posts…i love your blog! god bless πŸ™‚

20. Lins wrote:

This is so difficult for all of us. I'm constantly trying to plan out my life (and I don't do well with change either) and then I realize that's not what God intended for me. So, I try my best to go with the flow and lean on Him. It's hard. It's a constant faith test.

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  21. Such a perfect post! I have to constantly remind myself that we are not in control. He is oh so good to us and will never let us down. Lovely post, girlie! πŸ™‚

-Sarah
    tuckerup.blogspot.com

22. Amanda wrote:

Reading this reminded me (again) of being thankful of the small things He gives us-and the small unexpected reminders, too. The last two years have really stunk for me and slowly I'm learning to turn everything over to Him. I can't tell you how many times yesterday I took a deep breath and said "I turn it to you God" becaue it is too exhausting to do anything else at this point. One day at a time!

Posted 12.11.12 Reply

Sooooo true! I've been reminding myself of this everyday as I've had "my plans" change quite a bit over the last few years and have realized that my plans are nothing compared to His! =)

24. Molly wrote:

I read your blog everyday and I must say, that with each post I like it more and more. Your love for life and ability to appreciate the small things is amazing and inspiring!

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  25. "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!” Luke 1:45
    I often pull myself back up off the floor with promises like that, when circumstances feel really wobbly. May God speak to you of his promises πŸ™‚

26. Bev wrote:

OMG the message I had to continuously read yesterday which totally opened up my eyes is all about His plan…

"For it is God who is working among you both the willing and the working for His good purpose." – Philippians 2:13

Let go and let God πŸ˜‰

27. Stacey wrote:

You are not alone in this! My pastor just spoke on this topic on Sunday. Here's the link to the podcast if you want to check it out πŸ™‚ http://fbcokemos.sermonpodcasts.net/index.php?cat=ChristmasUnwrapped

28. *CPA* Su wrote:

I could have written the majority of this post myself – God seems to be working on showing me His control & power & might right now too. He is so good (and lucky for me, so merciful when I'm trying to figure it all out myself! πŸ™‚

Posted 12.11.12 Reply

Your words sound like someone who just landed a good guy! When you are in love, life is wonderful. You are in control – not the big guy!

Keep it real!

30. Victoria wrote:

You said it! These are my exact thoughts…Everytime I think, "Okay, I'm trusting God. I'm GLAD He's got this!", something CHANGES and I'm right back to square one. Right back to struggling to KNOW that whatever is going on is exactly what He would have and is making go on.

It's hard. It's life. And I think God meant it to be that way! When we're done struggling and doubting and wrestling, it's going to be pretty amazing!

Posted 12.11.12 Reply

You couldn't have said it better, I sometimes will take a problem and work it around in my mind how to solve it, like when my husband was going to be laid off, and as soon as I had worked it around so long that I was exhausted it dawned on me give it to God, I just take deep breaths in and blow it out towards the sky/Heaven and send it to God and I say there you go, I am giving this problem back to you, I can't fix it so please take care of it like I know only you can. And I forget about it, because the weight of it is gone, because I truely do finally give it up. And you know what, my husband got a job offer the NEXT DAY. And this things have happened a few time and I am always like man why didn't I let it go sooner?!?!

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  32. I have never commented on your blog before but I am a faithful reader. Thank you for posting this. I had a terrible day yesterday dwelling on the exact feelings you expressed in this post (there is a lot of unknowns and uncertaintys in my current job situation) and those feelings kept popping up in my head until I read your post over my lunch hour. Your post was a blessing to me. My mom shared Psalm 61:2 with me to calm me down and I am grateful for that post and your words. A wonderful reminder that God is in control of the plans over my life and yours. Thank you Lauren πŸ™‚

33. Jessie wrote:

I have had to walk through this as well! Having a planner personality combined with the uncertainties of young adulthood is a tough combination. I've had to really let go of my own plans, especially because when I look around my life now is not at all what I would have thought it would be at this point in my life. But that's not bad, it just causes me to trust Him. Good luck as you figure it all out!

34. Kristen wrote:

I'm struggling with the same thing. I struggle with worry too, worry that things aren't going to work out how "I" planned them! I have to stop planning everything and just live and rest in the comfort that God has it all in His hands and that He knows what the plan is!:) Thanks for sharing, Lauren!

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  35. What an amazing post. You are so very right. I struggled greatly with this when my husband and I decided to start our family. We had an EXTREMELY hard time conceiving. 3 years, multiple negative pregnancy tests, multiple broken hearts, failed fertility treatment. Month after month I begged and pleaded with God and asked him Why, why wasn't I able to have a child of my own. In January of 2010 we began leaving it all to Him. We poured our hearts out to our small group, to our pastor, to everyone, I was at my breaking point and with all of the stress decided I HAD to let go. I HAD to continue a normal life while trying to conceive and stop obsessing. May 14, 2010 is a day I will NEVER forget. I was 10 days past our second IUI and my husband had hidden all pregnancy tests from me, to force me to wait the 14 days to see the doctor. I woke up at 4AM and found one. 2 pink lines! We were expecting. I can't tell you how amazing my daughter is, she was TRULY worth the wait. God knew, while I was begging and pleading, EXACTLY what He was doing. Exactly how perfect she would be, and when I let go and let God… he delivered more than I could have ever asked for. None of us know what tomorrow will bring, but we can rest assured it will bring an ever loving, ever lasting God who loves us more than we can fathom.

Posted 12.11.12 Reply
  36. there is a great book called discerning the voice of God. My women's group just did a review of it. SO good. Check it out πŸ™‚

Posted 12.11.12 Reply

Oh, Lauren. You are taking the words right out of my own heart. Lately, the most simple of things that change can cause me to enter "freak-out" mode. I hate change- well, let's be honest, I hate it if I can't control the change. How ridiculous! The Lord has a reason for everything, meaning every little plan. Praying we'll get it together and trust in the Lord and still find joy in change, knowing that the Lord is in total control.
    Happy Tuesday!

38. Jennis wrote:

LOVE Lauren! It is so much better when you realize he is in control and you are not. Makes me think of that song by Casting Crowns "Already There". Thank you for posting. You took the words right out of my mouth! Praying for you!

By the way, I LOVE your owl mug. Where did you get it?

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
    • Lauren wrote:

thank you! the mug is from tj maxx!

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  39. Yes! I'd so rather Him be in charge then me πŸ™‚

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  40. Rebecca wrote:

Letting go of the reigns means you then get to sit back and enjoy the ride. I did it 20 years ago and have not regretted it once! Prov. 3:5&6

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  41. Julie wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself! Thank you for this reminder.
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans."

Julie
    justjuliec.blogspot.com

Posted 12.12.12 Reply

Lauren, Many days I think I run around in God's mighty hands, spinning my wheels and trying to make things happen! So incredibly grateful for His grace and mercy and PATIENCE with me at those times. Denise

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  43. Angie wrote:

I've had a similar conversation all week this week. I'm such a control freak. Letting go is SO hard for me to do.

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  44. srrraah wrote:

Oh man, can I relate. It's so much better when I back off and let Him be in control. Submission to His plans is hard!

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  45. This is a really lovely post, Lauren.

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  46. LaDonna S. wrote:

Lauren..I love reading your blog. God does have great plans for you. It's already begun with this platform he has given you. What a blessing you are to others!!

Posted 12.13.12 Reply
  47. Kerry B. wrote:

Amazing post! Thanks for sharing!!

Posted 12.14.12 Reply