my twenty-third year

today, i turn 23 years old. whew, that sounds old to me. even though i know it’s not. i guess 23 to me means real life. like, a real job, real income, real bills, and real responsibilities. my life isn’t quite as i pictured it would be when i was 8, thinking about how old and grown up i would be. i imagined being a teacher in some inner-city school, probably married, and maybe even thinking about starting a family. oh, that cute little 8-year-old brain of mine. so young and naive.
instead, i’m living in north carolina with my best friend as a roommate and my sister less than 3 minutes away. i’m still in school, without any clue as to what i will do for a job or career after graduation. i have no plans for children in the near or even semi-near future. and i’m not married, although i do have a pretty cute boyfriend.
a little different than my original plans, right? and i’m okay with that. in fact, i kinda like it. it keeps me on my toes and keeps life interesting.
twenty-two was a really good year for me. when i think back on the past year, i only have good memories, which is how i like it. but, i’ll be honest, i’m really excited for this next year of life. i have a feeling it’s going to be a good one for me.
p.s. today is the day that cupcake and/or any sort of dessert calories don’t count. did you know that? well, i just decided it. so, in honor of my birthday, or just the fact that it’s tuesday, go out there and eat something sweet for me. and don’t you even feel bad about it. i know i won’t.

1. Erin wrote:

Happy Birthday to you!!! Hope you have a wonderful day! xoxo

Posted 12.4.12 Reply

A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 23, such a baby 🙂 Enjoy this time in your life, it's lots of fun! I hope that you have a wonderful day!

3. Karen r. wrote:

Happy birthday!

4. Karen r. wrote:

Happy birthday!

5. Sam wrote:

happy birthday Lauren! I'm sure 23 will be a great year 🙂

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  6. Happy birthday! Today is actually national cookie day.. Even more reason to indulge in something sweet! http://www.punchbowl.com/holidays/national-cookie-day

7. srrraah wrote:

Happy birthday Lauren! I turned 23 two months ago and it hit me the same way! "oh crap i'm a grown up now" was my thought – life is the way God planned it, which comforted me since it's not the way I would have planned it! But oh so good. Have a great day!

8. Shannon wrote:

Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a great day 🙂

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  9. Happy Birthday Lauren! Hope it's the best ever! and p.s. You are definitely not old! Because if you're old, I'm ancient (26) =P

10. Christy wrote:

Happy Birthday!! Have a fabulous day!!

Happy Birthday!! Enjoy every single cupcake 😉

12. Sarah M. wrote:

Happy Birthday! I hope it's great!

13. HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🙂
    My 8 year old brain sounds really similar to your 8 year old brain…haha!

Great post! Happy Birthday! Love you! ….love that cake too! 😉

15. happy birthday!
    i would totally eat a cupcake,
    except i had one yesterday… should've waited for no calorie day.

xo – heather

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  16. Happy Birthday Lauren! Enjoy your day and lots of cupcakes.

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  17. Happy Birthday! Hope your day is wonderful!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  18. Happy Birthday! Gee I never realized that you are only a month older than my oldest child… 🙂

Happy Birthday, pretty! Have a blessed one! 🙂

Posted 12.4.12 Reply

Happy Birthday! I'm pretty sure my 8 year old brain pictured me the same way. Yet I am NO WHERE near ready for that!

21. Sarah wrote:

Dang girl! You are only 23? Sheesh youngin!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  22. Happy Birthday! I didn't realize you were about the same age as my brother Preston! But you already got a cute boyfriend 😉

At any rate…wait until you have a kid, and it won't matter what the number. You'll feel old!!!

-Michelle

23. Rebecca wrote:

Happy Happy Birthday!!! I saw you at the TriFABB event this weekend but felt too shy to say hi. Sunday was my 29th birthday 🙂

I'll eat another something sweet for you today!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply

Happy Birthday Lauren! This 42 year old mom of 3 enjoys your posts everyday! And you share the same birthday with my youngest who turns 5 today. I will be enjoying a piece of no-calorie Dora and Diego cake later. Enjoy your day!

25. Mary wrote:

Happy Birthday!!! 23 for me has been a very interesting and unexpected year. You're right, real like definitely does set it but, it's fun and exciting! Enjoy your day!!!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  26. Happy Birthday!!! Enjoy your 20's – don't plan too far in advance and live for each day. That's my best advice as a woman that just turned 36 on Saturday.

If there is anything I'm thankful for (other than the obvious loved ones, family, husband and friends) it's that I had an amazing decade in my 20's that flooded into my early 30's. I'm still rocking and enjoying myself responsibly but having those nights in my 20's where I had so much fun with my friends was well worth it to me! No regrets. OK well maybe there were a few boys that I regret giving my time of day to.

HAPPY HAPPY!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  27. Aw, happy birthday, sweet girl! It's been a joy to follow you for the last several months and I hope you have a great day! I shall definitely indulge in a sweet treat for you today, don't you worry. 😉

Lynette @ lynette marie

28. Natalia G wrote:

Happy birthday and btw I love your new blog design! So cute! Hope your day is great and that this year is the best one yet!

29. Ginny wrote:

Happy Birthday! I was in a very similar place to you at 23….now 10 years later my life is exactly as it should be 🙂 enjoy this fun time in your life and I'm sure you'll look back one day on the now and smile.
    Ginny
    mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

30. Alyssa wrote:

Happy birthday! I'll be 23 in two days! Lots of love!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  31. YAY!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Megan Nash wrote:

Happy Birthday:) I for some reason thought you where older than me. But it feels good to see someone else that is my age not where they thought they would be and having know idea what they want to do with their life. Well once again Happy Birthday hope your day is amazing:)

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  33. Happy Birthday!! Have a good one!

xo Rach
    rachiecakes-rachael.blogspot.com

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  34. Happy Birthday!! My 23rd birthday is on Thursday!

35. Happiest Birthday!!!!

36. Alix wrote:

Happy Burthday! I hope it's a great one full of cupcakes!

37. Kristina wrote:

Happy Birthday!! And yes, cupcake calories definitely don't count today, go crazy!

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  38. I'll definitely eat something sweet for you, Lauren! Happy birthday, girl! You are amazing, and I'm pretty sure I'm FMGD's #2 fan. Let's be honest. Kate is #1, and I'm not even going to try to deny that.

39. Anna TTIL wrote:

Happy 23!

40. meghan wrote:

Happy Birthday! Desserts definitely don't count, and it sounds like you're in the perfect place. I'm 27 and just got married, don't plan on having kids soon, have a job that I like that isn't necessarily a career I'd like to do forever, and am just happy. That's what life is about!

41. Kari wrote:

Happy Birthday! I'm a December baby too. December birthdays are the best! Hope your 23rd year is fabulous!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  42. Don't you worry – 23 is not old. I turn 25 next month – and that sounds crazy!! A quarter-of-a-century-old. Now *that* seems like a big deal… but happy birthday to you! Hope you have a great day today 🙂

43. Brittney wrote:

Your wish is my command! (I just ate a doughnut). Happy Birthday!

44. Jennifer wrote:

Happy Birthday, Lauren. 🙂 I ate Oreos for breakfast just for you. 🙂
    I hope that this year is amazing, full of surprises and that God will bless you beyond anything you could imagine. That all of your dreams will come true. 🙂

xo!
    Jennifer

Happy Birthday!!!

46. Mallory wrote:

Happy Birthday!! 🙂

47. Happy birthday!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply

Happy Birthday!!!!!! Have a wonderful day!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. Kandi wrote:

Happy Birthday!!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply

Happy Birthday!! 23 can be scary (I just turned 23 in June) because you are more like a "grown up" haha but I'm sure you will have a great year because you are a fantastic person!! =)

Oh and that cake picture is gorgeous!!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  51. Happy Birthday!! I love your rule about sweets not counting 🙂 Enjoy your day!

52. Andi wrote:

Happy Birthday! Sweets don't count on birthdays, holidays, or weekends, right?

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  53. Happy 23rd! I'll be kissing 22 goodbye in a couple of months. Whewww…we are old 😉

Have a great day!

54. Kristin wrote:

Have a wonderful Birthday!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  55. happiest of birthdays, love!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  56. Happy Birthday! May Jesus bless you this year!

57. Happy Birthday Love!

58. Ashley wrote:

Happy Birthday, Lauren!!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  59. I'm so glad I read this post today…I just finished eating a random Little Debbie and now I know that those calories don't count! Happy birthday!

60. Andrea wrote:

Twenty-Three is NOT old! Think of it this way, you're still considered dependent as far as the FAFSA's concerned. Happy birthday!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  61. 23 was my favorite year!!! 🙂 enjoy!

Posted 12.4.12 Reply

u r a baby!! happy bday! 🙂

63. Laura wrote:

Happy Birthday! Enjoy still feeling somewhat carefree…I miss feeling that way!

–Laura http://caffeinatedpinkaholic.blogspot.com

Posted 12.4.12 Reply
  64. Happy birthday! Hope you have a fantastic day!!

Happy birthday!

Posted 12.5.12 Reply
  66. Kaileigh wrote:

Happy birthday!

Posted 12.5.12 Reply
  67. Happy birthday! And, you're right about calories. Birthdays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are all magical in that way! (And sometimes Mondays… because who doesn't need a few extra calories to get through a Monday?)

Posted 12.5.12 Reply
  68. Happy Birthday! May God bless you with many, many more! 🙂

Posted 12.5.12 Reply
  69. I hope your birthday is full of love and laughter! It has been a pleasure following your blog. I am still 22 (23 in July!), but it's so nice to find bloggers that are dealing with the same things as I am!

Posted 12.5.12 Reply
  70. Angie wrote:

Happy 23rd Birthday! Hope this year is the best one yet 🙂

Posted 12.5.12 Reply
  71. Happy birthday! Enjoy a great day and an exciting year!

Alice

Posted 12.5.12 Reply
  72. Katie Goin wrote:

Happy Birthday. I turn 33 on Thursday. Let me tell you…I had that same little 8 year old brain you did. I thought by the time I was old…25…ahem…I'd be married, have kids, etc. I still feel like I'm 20 on a bad day…16 on a good day. In my almost 33 years on this planet the only thing I've learned is that life NEVER turns out the way you think it will. New adventures and surprises pop up all of the time. I hope you enjoy it. I can't believe it has been 10 years since I was 23. Yikes!!!

Posted 12.5.12 Reply
  73. Emily wrote:

Happy Birthday, Lauren!

I turned 23 in August, so I'm only just a little older than you! 23 is kind of a weird year, but good, too! For the first time in my life, I feel like I'm really in control. I feel more empowered to make life decisions and pursue creative interests. I definitely feel like an "adult." I'm sure this year will bring on a lot of exciting and challenging changes for you, and it really sounds like you have a great support system to keep you grounded. Cheers to that!

xo,
    Emily
    emilyannestyle.com

Posted 12.5.12 Reply
  74. Belinda wrote:

A very Happy Birthday Lauren! As a woman who just turned 31 this year, enjoy your twenties…. planning is for later!

XO,

Belinda

Posted 12.5.12 Reply
  75. Happy birthday, Lauren! Don't you worry, I'm 26 and STILL trying to figure things out… and I don't anticipate I will get it sorted out anytime soon. Keep living your life and loving it! (And loving alliteration?)

Posted 12.5.12 Reply
  76. Bev wrote:

someone got a CUTE blog-over!!! yes i've been MIA for a few weeks from blog land but better late than never to realize this cute change up in herrrr!!

happy belated birthday girlie… hope you enjoy your birthday month and have a fantab time with your friends and family!

xo, Bev

Posted 12.6.12 Reply
  77. Accept my belated wishes mate!
    You turned 23 and I wish you fantastic days ahead, I hope you enjoyed your birthday happily.

Posted 12.6.12 Reply
  78. Happy Happy Belated Birthday friend! I hope it was a wondrous occasion!

XO