puffer vest to the rescue

pants: madewell
flannel: old navy
vest: american eagle – very old (similar)
boots: hunter
so, if you live basically anywhere in the great united states, you’ve probably experienced some sort of strange weather the last month or so. we’ve had 70’s down here in north carolina. which, i’m not about to complain about because i love it, but it does make it difficult to wear my fall clothes. on the few days that it’s been closer to 50, i’ve been able to pull out the flannel and boots, but it’s still been too warm to wear a real jacket. which is where my puffer vest comes in.
puffer vests are everything that is right with outerwear, if you ask me. i currently have three in my coat closet and wouldn’t mind adding to that. i actually really would like a brightly colored one because i have all neutrals now. either way, i love them. and they’re perfect for this weird weather we’re having.
p.s. how great is that bag? my roommate surprised me with it for my birthday and i haven’t looked at another bag since. it’s love, i’m pretty sure of it.

Lauren, Are your boots more olive in color? or are they a brighter green?

Posted 12.12.12 Reply

Absolutely love it! That could be my go-to outfit as well.

What I want to know is your secret for affording Madewell and Hunter on a student budget. 🙂

• Lauren wrote:

the pants were a birthday gift! i usually buy madewell stuff on sale, which they do a lot of great promotions, and i get a student discount. the rest of it i save up for! I don't spend a lot of money going out or eating out so i have some extra to spend on clothes and things!

• Anonymous wrote:

Kristin – I was thinking the same thing!

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  3. I love the bag! It's perfect! I have the hardest time finding a perfect black bag…no prob with other colors just black. So deets on the bag, please! And the AE vest, have it too…such a classic, it's one of my favorite go-to's! You look great, love the outfit 🙂

• Lauren wrote:

there's a link to the bag under the last photo!

4. Melanie wrote:

This outfit is adorable! I have a flannel shirt, but never thought to pair it with a brown vest (which I also have). Thanks for your great ideas to mix up existing wardrobes 🙂

Melanie @ http://keepitsimpleandfun.blogspot.com

5. Sam wrote:

Love the best! I'm actually in Charlotte, NC right now!!

6. Holly wrote:

Um, that bag is amazing! And I am a HUGE fan of vests. I have five in my closet and at least one more coming for Christmas 🙂

7. Natalia G wrote:

I adore plaid, hunter boots, and puffer vests so this outfit, to me, is perfect! I really really need to go out and finally buy myself a vest. I loathe wearing coats in the winter. xx

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  8. this is such a great look — the plaid, the boots and the vest are perfect together! xo

9. Rebecca S. wrote:

I love this look. I like that the vest and top don't have to be matchy – matchy. Looks great!

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  10. haha i've had the same vest foreeeever! so glad to see that puffer vests are back in style! (were they ever out?!)

Posted 12.12.12 Reply

Super cute outfit! That bag is fantastic!

12. Bryna wrote:

I wish I could say it's too warm to wear a jacket over here in Canada 🙁 but alas! Cute outfit 🙂

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  13. This outfit is PERFECT! Those pants are super flattering on you, and I love the vest with the flannel! Super cute, Lauren.
    And don't even get me started on the purse. It's everything a good purse should be. 😉

Lynette @ lynette marie

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  14. This is absolutely adorable, as are you! Love this outfit!! I need Santa to bring me a puff vest!

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  15. Love it! I have a plaid puffer vest that is my absolute favorite for Christmas (it doesn't hurt that I got it at ninety percent off either)!

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  16. Love your style! I will have to try Madewell's jeans sometime!

17. Sarah wrote:

Not a fan of puffers on myself, but it looks totally adorable on you! I think you have to be pretty thin to pull it off.

Posted 12.12.12 Reply

I don't feel the boots match – the outfits looks too Wallmarty – but what do I know? Love the blog – you do wonderful work!

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  19. Cute vest and I love your jeans!! You look so great in these pictures!
    xx. McKenna Lou

20. jealin' over here!
    two of the top items on my wish list right now:
    – the perfect flannel
    – hunters!
    the outfit is just adorable!

xo – heather

21. dxeechick wrote:

yes, yes and yes to all of it. very cute.

22. Jess wrote:

What a great outfit! I asked for Hunter boots for Christmas and I am so hoping that they are under the tree! 🙂

Posted 12.12.12 Reply

I NEED A PUFFER VEST IN MY LIFE.

Love love!

24. SH wrote:

Oooh! Love that puffy vests are coming back.
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

Posted 12.12.12 Reply

LOVE. I have a hard time getting creative with the puffer vest! You work it. Also, have you gotten your money's worth out of your hunters? I finally bit the bullet and asked for some for Christmas!

Posted 12.12.12 Reply

Oh no, the Madewell link takes us to the site, but not the pants. Do you know which ones these are?? Thanks!

Posted 12.12.12 Reply
  27. I love the boots – I've had my eye on a pair of eggplant Hunter boots for a while now 🙂

Posted 12.13.12 Reply
  28. Lins wrote:

That bag rocks!! I've been wearing my puffer vests as well. I've got a charcoal grey and a bright red. Both are in constant rotation.

Posted 12.13.12 Reply
  29. Angie wrote:

Such a cute casual look!

Posted 12.13.12 Reply
  30. I'm in LOVE with that bag! Seriously!

Posted 12.13.12 Reply
  31. Love the flannel/puffy vest look. So simple yet so adorable!

Posted 12.13.12 Reply
  32. Latoya wrote:

Love the jeans! Do you know which style they are?

Posted 12.13.12 Reply
    • Lauren wrote:

they're the skinny skinny in the oil-coated wash (i think), which may be sold out/unavailable online right now

Posted 12.13.12 Reply
  33. you look gorgeous, lauren!

Posted 12.13.12 Reply
  34. Puffy vests are the bomb! (Do people still say that? Probably no.) They keep you warm because they cover your heart, but your arms are free which means you can EAT!

Not that I suffer thru being cold simply so I can eat more easily.

Posted 12.14.12 Reply
  35. Lauren, I am so in love with this whole look! And you're totally right about that bag, perfection.

Alison