The Podcast List

I love listening to podcasts. To me, it’s a step up from listening to music and a step down from watching a show. With music, I can get pretty lost and tune it out. With a show, I find myself wanting to actually look at the screen to know what’s going on. With a podcast, I get the best of both worlds. Something interesting to listen to coupled with the freedom to move about the room (or otherwise) without feeling like I’m going to miss something important.

Podcasts I’ve listened to and loved (or currently listen to and love):

Story-based (one story/theme, told episode by episode)

Dirty John
In The Dark, Season 1
Missing & Murdered: Finding Cleo
Uncover: Escaping NXIVM
Someone Knows Something, Season 2
Accused, Season 1
The Dropout
Gladiator: Aaron Hernandez and Football Inc.
Happy Face
The Teacher’s Pet
Bear Brook
A Killing On the Cape
22 Hours: An American Nightmare
The Shrink Next Door
To Live and Die in LA
Over My Dead Body
Who the Hell is Hamish?

Theme-based (different stories told episode by episode, but in the same category of content)

My Favorite Murder
Serial, Season 3
How I Built This
Stuff You Should Know
This American Life
Crime Junkie
Armchair Expert with Dax Shepherd
Criminal
Breakdown
True Crime Obsessed

(some of these contain sensitive topics/explicit language – check the ratings before listening, if you’re sensitive to that!)

Podcasts that have been recommended to me*:

Real Crime Profile
Small Town Murder
Queen of Crime
Happier by Gretchen Rubin
Off the Vine
Sword and Scale
Sawbones

I haven’t personally listened to any of the podcasts in this list, so I can’t speak to the content, language or quality!
*based on my preference for true crime and/or learning something new

1. Great post! Stumbled upon this post from BlogLovin' while I prepare for my trip back home to Wisconsin from Georgia! I am currently listening to The Struggle Bus podcast on Spotify right now but looking to find different kinds to fit different moods. I will definitely check out your suggestions as well as the rest of your website 🙂

Posted 11.29.17 Reply
  2. Brittney wrote:

Listened to Dirty John per your sister's blog post about it and now I'm going to go onto Serial because of your recommendation. Thanks for the list!! Excited to listen

Posted 11.30.17 Reply
  3. Lindsay wrote:

Holy moly this list is awesome. I've been trying to get into podcasts lately and wasn't sure where to start. This list is perfect and I'm so excited to listen to one of these!
    Lindsay
    Lattesandallthingslovely.com

Posted 12.2.17 Reply
  4. Listened to a few which were great – but this list is a God send, looking forward to adding a few to my list!

Rebecca
    xx

Posted 12.3.17 Reply
  5. I work in a lab- and am by myself (or with a single co-worker) most of the time and I LIVE for podcasts! My faves are on your list, but I would highly recommend "On Drugs" for a look inside the who, what and why of certain legal and illegal drugs (it helps that I'm in pharmaceuticals!) and would also highly recommend Lime Town…which is on your list, but definitely deserves a top spot! Cheers!

Posted 12.5.17 Reply
  6. Carrie Naff wrote:

Are you watching Dirty John on Bravo?!?!

Posted 12.11.18 Reply
  7. Jess wrote:

HIGHLY recommend Sword and Scale too!

Posted 2.7.19 Reply
  8. Kristina wrote:

Heavy weight! You have to add it to the list. It’s not true crime but it will make you think!! So good!!

Posted 2.7.19 Reply
  9. LaDonna wrote:

I came over from Kate’s story about podcasts. I love true crime podcasts and shows. One of my favorites is Crime Junkies because of the different story each time. I’ll be checking out some of your choices now too. Thanks!

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
    • Lauren wrote:

I love Crime Junkie!

Posted 3.30.19 Reply
  10. I listened to several podcasts on your list. Dirty John and Serial all 3 seasons. I wanted to send you a few recommendations also. While I love serial killers and crime stuff, sometimes a feel a little down or depressed when I get too much of it and I need to change it up a bit. I know that your are a spiritual person, as I have follow both you and Kate for a while. The links below are for 2 different series of messages, one from Pastor Greg Laurie and the other Pastor David Jeremiah. They are about Revelations and how the prophesies in the Bible are in the works. They are both very fascinating to me and I have learned a lot I didn’t know. I though you may enjoy them as well. Thanks for your recommendations!

Posted 7.10.19 Reply